One of the main problems with the website homepage is the poor job it does at making Nimiq shine. We saw it many times with streamers who are asked to take a look at Nimiq and end up on a page with generic statements that totally fails at conveying a message.
The poor first impression hurts Nimiq more than we give it credit for considering the large amount of traffic the page gets.
In preamble I think we should target people not totally new to crypto but not too technical either. The current homepage tone is too vague and general, it feels like it talks more about payment cryptos in general than Nimiq, you could change the logo with Litecoin and you could keep 90% of the content.
- I would ditch “Open Money”, the very first thing that should pop on the website is nimiq’s ambition: mass adoption. Nimiq is not another fork trying to copy Bitcoin, it’s a cryptocurreny designed from the ground-up to be “Average Joe-centric” and bridge an existing UX gap.
- Now how does Nimiq try to accomplish that? By creating the easiest UI (simple), by providing a cutting edge transaction speed (lightning fast) and finally by centering its integration around the browser.
- No more “inspired by Bitcoin” (every single crypto is inspired by Bitcoin…).
- Nimiq is fundamentally about the Web and Blockchain, targeting excellence in both areas. The original description is too modest.
- Ditch “What makes it secure”, all cryptocurrencies are designed to be secure, let’s talk about something else, something exclusive to Nimiq.
- The “library vs wikipedia” is a weird analogy, I don’t get it at all. Overall the “What makes it special” is bland, I think you could find something more impactful to write to describe it.
Now the “What I can I do with it” is probably the saddest part, it isn’t exciting at all.
I would completely ditch it and instead go with something like “the 3 pillars of Nimiq” talking about the browser native aspect, Albatross and finally OASIS.
The rest of the homepage is fine, however what I would really like to see is a frame with a big “connect to the Nimiq Blockchain” and the map above displaying itself or something equivalent. During the ICO nimiq.com landed you on the map and it had a big “wow effect” value because traditionally if you want to connect to a chain you have to use some clunky desktop applications, browser extension or straight up command lines.