Nimiq non-custodial Cashlinks - with staking!

I thought it would be an awesome idea - I know I would use it. Especially if a printed cashlink is given as a gift or store of value to be redeemed at a future date. A month between cashlink creation and redemption would be a difference of more than 1% in staking income lost - especially during the first year.
Maybe the staking pool operators would see some value in this approach? Would it still be NON-custodial?

1 Like

I think it can be done pretty easily since the cashlink creator controls the private key and that’s all you need to delegate.
The hard part would be the claiming since you would need to unstake before claiming the cashlink and the hub does not support that (yet)

Hi there!

This is definitely a cool idea!

And as the previous answer said, it’s possible non-custodially, too.

The issue arises in claiming: to claim the NIM from the staked cashlink, first the stake needs to be deactivated, which takes at least 12 hours (up to 24 hours). In that time the cashlink address still controls the NIM. Only then can the NIM be transferred to the claimer’s address.

Other than that, yeah! Could be something pools offer, kind of a ‘gift card for their pool’ :+1:

1 Like

Great to hear - super exciting! If I could push my luck here just a little bit - would non-custodial passphrase-protected cashlinks with staking be possible as well

Could be done, I’m thinking abut encrypting the private key with that passphrase. So any pool or other service could do it if they want

1 Like