Nimiq OASIS powered version of UniSwap

So I had an idea which I have brainstormed and would like opinions and questions answered by our very own Nimiq Community.

By now, most of us know about UniSwap. If you don’t know UniSwap, than my good friend Google can describe it for you:

Uniswap is a decentralised exchange in the form of two smart contracts hosted on the Ethereum blockchain, as well as a public, open source front-end client. It’s a 100% on-chain market maker allowing the swapping of ERC20 tokens, as well as ETH to an ERC20, and vice-versa.

Okay, so I see some of you already thinking: Nimiq OASIS! Yes… yes indeed, yesyesyes. How cool would it be, to have a UniSwap version with the OASIS protocol.

Ladies and Gentlemen: NimSwap.com is born (hey don’t worry - I already registered that domain, that’s how serious I am about this) Another cool thing about NimSwap is that the name NimSwap still gives credits to Nimiq that made OASIS. That’s why I think NimSwap.com is the perfect name for this Decentralized Exchange.

With OASIS you can swap anything but the focus is on Cryptocurrencies first. Imagine, trading cryptocurrencies with superlegendary low fees. Right now on UniSwap the fees are skyhigh. For example, yesterday I paid $55 for a $400 txs. No, that’s no typo, and yes, your eyes are still working fine. Everyone that supports Nimiq will benefit from it because the %1 fee that will be charged will be used to buy $NIM off the market, thus making it more scarce and valuable. NIM transactions will skyrocket, A lot of NIM will be bought from the market with the %1 fee and everyone has a cheap, safe, reliable and fast way to exchange things without trusting a third party.

I’m still in the brainstorming fase and i’m taking notes. What I would like to know from you guys is:

What is your opinion on this idea?

Do you think this is technical possible to realize?

And if you think you can be part of the development of realizing this, let me know! Salary and funding are on the table.

4 Likes

Love your enthusiasm! However, Uniswap and OASIS are not as compatible as you might think.
As you correctly pointed out, Uniswap is a pair of (very specific) smart contracts on Ethereum. OASIS is a protocol that uses Hash Time Locked Contracts (HTLCs). The Uniswap contracts and the HTLCs are very different, they don’t interface at all.
They also solve different problems. Uniswap creates a pool of tokens that people can trade against. The objective being to increase liquidity by having the pool serve as a market maker. OASIS extends the HTLC atomic swap protocol (which only works with cryptocurrencies) to allow fiat currencies.
We can use OASIS on the Ethereum blockchain, allowing us to swap Eth or any ERC20 token with fiat. Technically you can also use OASIS to swap any two ERC20 tokens together (like Uniswap), although that would simply be a normal atomic swap.
By the way, the reason your Uniswap trade was so expensive is because Ethereum gas fees are sky high right now. It’s unlikely that doing an atomic swap on Ethereum would be much cheaper.

3 Likes