Why build on Nimiq?

As an investor with very little knowledge about programming, I’m curious to know why Nimiq has attracted so many devs to its community, many of whom are already producing Nimiq related applications. So to all you developers and coders out there - why is Nimiq the platform you’re choosing to build around, especially with so many other base coins/crypto projects to choose from?

3 Likes

The biggest thing for me is the rest of the devs. I’ve been around since beta and even back then the devs were great (with many faces you’d recognize today, including the now Team member Soren). The group has grown and yet there’s still quality, and given that it’ll grow from the existing group I’m sure it’ll stay that way. Before Nimiq I was big on Ethereum and contract dev, was also active in the ethdev subreddit. The overall vibe is much more about making easy money and while good original ideas come out, they’re followed by thousands of clones (most with nothing new). I’d even once been scammed by a dev who pretended to be new and wanted people to try out a small first contract. I looked it over, and it had a glaring bug so I tried it out (was a guessing game) only to then find out they had used an obscure feature to make the game unwinnable with the bug on purpose.

Besides the dev community, tech wise I love the keyguard and the fact that it’s done in JS (playing with both Nimiq and ETH is possible with Metamask+Web3+Nimiq.js). The team’s viewpoint on community developers is nice, especially how close they are too us. Some coins youll have a hard time getting anyone once in a while, with Nimiq half the team are frequent visitors to one of the 3 chat rooms. Their commitment to blockchain technology in general is huge for me as well.

On the differences between building on top of Tokens vs Nimiq vs Ethereum:

To build on top of an ERC 20 token like you would on Nimiq (as in using it for payments) would definitely be harder than just using Nimiq. But building an app on Ethereum (whether a general smart contract or ERC20/23/721/over 9000) is different from building one on Nimiq, and both are extremely useful.

I feel the two chains have different use cases. ETH for doing logic (based on unchangeable code) based on receipt of txs; whether that logic is making txs for a token, redistribution of received funds, storing data, or a million other things. NIM is for pure transactions, with recipients able to act based on receiving those transactions (and even reading some data in the message) but they’re the ones acting, whether a human or a computer.

1 Like

Very much agree with @chugwig here! Another fact is that there are also quite a few webdevs in the team, including myself. So I think we speak the same language. :slight_smile:
Personally, I really like how easy it is to add Nimiq functionalities to any webapp. It’s all in JavaScript, the arguably most used programming language today (see GitHub’s report of 2018: https://github.blog/2018-11-15-state-of-the-octoverse-top-programming-languages) that every webdev is familiar with.
And from Nimiq’s side, we try to always be available to help, provide examples and documentation, as well as offer community members to apply for funding for their projects.

3 Likes

Because Nimiq is simple and because the team operates with the principle of delivering the highest quality code, and delivering on everything they promise.

2 Likes