Welcome Post & Introduce yourself

If anyone knows how to do safe lifetime checking at runtime in Rust, please help me!

I’m curious, are you using reference counting?

1 Like

Isn’t that group for all Nimiq Ninjas, nothing specific to code? I still feel like we need a public coders chat that’s connected to coders-watercooler. Nimiq Dojo is going to grow much larger than Sushi Lounge ever was, so while technical questions may have worked in the lounge, I don’t think they’ll work for the dojo. If there’s a separate chat specifically for samurai (which I think there should be) then it’d make sense to ask technical questions there, but until you’ve made something and earned Samurai there needs to be a place to ask regular coding questions. Hence why I feel telegram needs a coders water-cooler.

We use reference counting (i.e. Arcs) a lot. But avoided it for the database as compile-time memory management is faster. But we came to the conclusion that using reference counting for only the database envrionment wouldn’t make much a difference. So I’m changing it to reference counting now.

We’re also using reference counting for quite a few other objects. I want to reduce that, because I believe most of them are really unnecessary, since many objects have the same life-time, i.e. that of the Consensus object. E.g. the Blockchain object would always life as long as Consensus, so Consensus can own the blockchain and we can use references from everywhere else. Those references are then contrained to the lifetime of the Consensus object. That’s one big advantage of Rust, that we can don’t have to use reference counting or garbage-collection :slight_smile:

But this became a little bit off-topic for this thread. What would you think about a thread about implementation details of core-rs and core-rs-albatross? I’m making the effort to visit this forum daily and answer questions, so we could also have discussions about the internals of the Nimiq client (specifically Rust, as I’m most familiar with out Rust clients) in a seperate thread.

2 Likes

I think a separate thread for this would be great and the information is amazing! The little bit of tech talk in this thread should help new joiners see how committed and knowledgeable the team + community they’re joining is.

1 Like

What would you think about a thread about implementation details of core-rs and core-rs-albatross?

That would be pretty cool! :+1:

2 Likes

I already opened the thread: Core & Albatross Implementation: What are we working on?

3 Likes

Any chance you could give us a hint which coin you’re working for? Or maybe what features you added to Bitcoin? I’m really curious :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @Luketherock868 !

I hope you don’t mind me asking. It seems to me that many young programers start to code modding games, is that true for you as well, or did you jump head first into programming with Nimiq?

1 Like

Hi ! I’m Mathéo and i’m happy to become a new member of the Nimiq front-end team.
I’m a 23 years old French JS developer, living in Paris. I’m following Nimiq since the ICO, and i really think that it’s one of the best project out there. So i’ll do my best to help Nimiq to become the successful project it deserve to be.

6 Likes

Welcome, @Luketherock868! Great to have you in the community and congrats on starting coding from such a young age. Where and how did you hear about crypto and blockchain 2 years ago, and how did you come across Nimiq?

2 Likes

Hi Janosch

Sorry, mu life is a mess a this moment, I wanted to reply you but I have not had time until now, work->sick->work :sweat_smile:

I’ll reply on another thread, jut to maintain this one clean.

1 Like

Hello everyone, my name is ayman 20yo, from Morocco. I’m new at this community, I just learned about nimiq from reddit. I actually was never interested about cryptocurrency but after reading and researching about nimiq, I just saw something right about it. I just started learning how it works and how to mine, seems pretty hard but there is nothing that can’t be managed with a little bit of hard work and help from this awsome community, I hope i can be helpful somehow even though I’m just a beginner.
Also my NIM address for anyone interested: NQ28 11F9 VBEQ A0XG 4GHX RYB9 QA09 5U4H MJ81

5 Likes

Welcome to the team, Ayman! Glad to see you’re already mining. I also find it interesting that Nimiq got you into cryptocurrency, even before Bitcoin! This talks good about the team and how we’re presenting and working on things. Just sent you a tip!

Go ahead and ask questions. The community is here to help.

3 Likes

Thank you so much, i really appreciate it. And yeah I had a problem with the nimiq desktop and someone from the team i guess already looking at it.
Too much love to this community. :heart::heart::heart:

5 Likes

We got a really good community here

3 Likes

Hello my name is james Warren am 45 from united states. I am describe myself as bitcoin enthusiast. I have got 2 degrees in computer programming and web design I been doing it for almost 19 years. So am here to give support to nimiq and help anyone needs. I do alot of programming in java json. I love to learn new things and do charity work in my community,

3 Likes

I’m nitori, I’m from Colombia. i’ve been stalking the nimiq team since the beginning (when youtube vids made by the kid where actually a thing), i got shilled it pretty hard by scotty on the spacestation discord community. and i invested some trough him buying the ICO, he sold me some NET tokens before Nim was a thing. (i really didn’t liked the idea of doing all that KYC stuff) afterwards i got my small bag of net tokens, did the swap and I’ve been holding and minning it since it launched.

you might have stumbled me, cehh and scotty long ago in the nimiq discord, along with Glen and (gabby) who’s not there anymore we all come from a decentralized community where the Nimiq devs just had an AMA Yesterday, and here am i.

I actually gave a speech on nimiq before but not as trying to promote it. but as a usefull tool so people can understand how transactions are made and get a general idea of how blockchain and crypto works.

the speech was based on blockchains and bitcoin, merkel trees, hashing and how does a wallet is generated, what’s the math’s behind it, (elyptical curve for not technical people).
I needed a tool simple enough to make a practical example of how does a transaction takes place and nimiq was perfect for it, because college computers doesn’t allow any 3rd software installations without authorization so. nimiq worked flawlessly.

I gave away a nimiq shirt from the nimiq store to the kahoot winner out of my pocket but i think it worth it. i’ll tell richy or Talley next time i’ll do something like that for perks or stuff to giveaway i guess.

that’s pretty much it, you can get in touch with me on the discord channel. i don’t really use telegram at all.

i rarely speak Spanish as well, and i noticed richy has all the Spanish community on top notch updates so… yeah.

nice to meet you all again.
i hope we can get along

8 Likes

Hello everyone, my name is sanket and i am from India. I joined Nimiq 1 months before and want to contribute my knowledge and skills to the community and want to solve problems of community members.

3 Likes

Hello everyone!
I’m Luc. Following Nimiq for more then a year now, even if i’m completly broke and my bag of nimiq is very low since i had to start my own communication agency after i left a company where i worked as a web project manager and web developper.

My adress : NQ72 HYQB 87JP THHP KUBV 2FGG K9EE U8AX 3N49

Also i’m participating to the T-Shirt Design Competition, feel free to comment my work! Thanks !

3 Likes

Hi all, my name is Francesco alias IlCriptonauta. I’m Italian guy with a great passion for criptocurrency and blockchain. I’m Criptoverso Owner a little Italian community about blockchain and criptocurrency.

I don’t publish any links because I don’t know if it’s possible. Eventually some moderator can elucidate me.

Anyway, I discovered Nimiq for some time and immediately invested in this beautiful project.

If anyone wishes, I leave you my NIM address:
NQ27 QVUY QTVM EMP1 XQSK NHRK X6CS F6VJ 3A43

I apologize in advance if my English is not perfect, I am also here to improve it thanks to the conversations with all of you. :wink:

I can not help but wish you all a good continuation and a good stay in the forum

2 Likes